Committee of the Whole
The Chairman of the Council is the Chairman of the Committee of the Whole (COW), and all Councilmembers are part of the committee. COW meets on the third Tuesday of each month, except during periods of Council recess, to consider measures pending in the committee and measures which have been reported and filed by other committees. During COW meetings, bills can also be introduced and referred to other committees.
Each bill and resolution reported by Council legislative committees are referred to COW to make sure the legislation is legally sufficient and complies with Council rules, and that its fiscal impact statement is sound.
Agencies under the Committee of the Whole
- Council of the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Auditor
- Board of Zoning Adjustment
- Community College of the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia retirement Board, including the District of Columbia Police Officers and Fire Fighters' Retirement Fund and the Teachers' Retirement Fund
- District of Columbia Statehood Commission
- District of Columbia Statehood Compact Commission
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority *
- Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments *
- National Capital Planning Commission *
- Office of Budget and Planning
- Office of Planning
- Office of Zoning
- Tax Revision Commission
- Tobacco Settlement Financing Corporation
- University of the District of Columbia
- Zoning Commission of the District of Columbia
* This entity is a federal agency or regional body. As such, the Committee does not have direct oversight but, rather, serves as a liaison for the Council in relations to this entity.